Funding your care

Besides personal savings, there are other ways of obtaining funds to pay for private care arrangements.

There are many sources of funds and it is often up to individual or family to consider their personal circumstances as well as their financial situation when determining the options available to them. Depending on circumstances, an individual may use personal savings or obtain help from social services.

Social care or private care?

Where social care is required, an assessment is done by social worker to determine eligibility for support. Once eligibility is established, the individual may choose to be referred to providers or to get their allocated budget to source their care privately.


Direct payments/personal budget
These are payments made by Local Councils for people who have been assessed as requiring help from Social Services and who would like to arrange and pay for their own care and support services rather than receiving them from the Local Council directly.

Attendance allowance
This is a tax free benefit for people who are aged 65 years and over who need assistance with personal care either because they are mentally or physically disabled. You may be eligible for attendance allowance if:-

Attendance allowance is not affected by savings or income.

You are able to apply on line at or ring the Benefit Enquiry line on 0800 88 22 00

NHS Continuing healthcare (CHC)
This is fully funded care for people who do not require care in an NHS acute hospital but who have complex medical problems. To qualify for NHS CHC funding you will need to be assessed by a Nurse where the assessment is presented to the panel who then determine you are eligible for care funded entirely by the NHS. The largest group who receive continuing care are those assessed for terminal illness and palliative care.
To find out more about the assessment process call NHS Direct 0845 4647